Tuesday, September 10, 2013

WindowMaker-style menus in GNUstep?

Did you know it was possible?
I got that question asked more than once!
Or horizontal menus? or Macintosh-style?

Well the obvious way is to install theme enabling this feature. However, you may want to tweak just a certain feature or customize the default look.

Now you need to set a certain default. If you do not want to fiddle with the defaults write NSInterfaceStyleDefault GSWindowMakerInterfaceStyle, then the "Defaults" preference panel will be your friend!
The Panel has been long around a long time! It is easy to enable things. But once you need to set 

I just completed two useful enhancements in System Preferences:

  • New editor type for fixed-list choices, as is the case for the interface styles!
  • All values can have now a localized description!






You can see the new editor in action with WindowMaker style menus which, by the way, are more convenient when using the "stick" pointer instead of a Mouse, as found on ThinkPads and certain other laptops.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wonder why do you continue your work on gnustep applications?
What inspires you? Why do you believe in gnustep?
Thanks!

Riccardo said...

Anonymous... that's a strange question! Why shouldn't I? Give yourself a name!

I just find GNUstep the best Framework around and I find the interface of the applications done with it are just the best around.
I feel the need for a professional, productive and usable environment which shall be open--source so that it is free from Apples and Microsoft's crazyness and which will be available in the future.

I am inspired by past great environments: SmallTalk interface on Xerox, NeXT and OpenStep, IndigoMagic of past SGI, and both Mac Classic and the first MacOS-X releases, BeOS and many others.

I feel uninspired by the most recent change in the desktop development, which essentially give the desktop no more dignity. Unity, Mac 10.8/10.9 and Windows 8 makes us transition to a dumb "touch" world.

I want a workstation! Be it desk-side, desk-top or mobile.

And last but not least, I do it for the fun.